The Industrial Arts Building was once at the site of the old South Ward. When the high school was erected on Market Street, the “Ag” students had to travel back and forth between Fourth Street and LHS. This was, of course, most unsatisfactory, and so Mr. Harry Troutman, the first agriculture teacher, asked the School Board if his students could tear down, move and reconstruct the building near the high school. Permission was granted.
It was about this time that we became the “Green Dragons.” All schools and colleges were at that time choosing emblems which Lewisburg also set about to choose. Probably our school color, kelly green, was the deciding factor in choosing the dragon, a crest submitted by a student. Other than these vague ideas, little is known about the origin of the Green Dragon.
Lewisburg High has always been abreast the times in education. Courses in Drivers education, art, commercial studies, and music were instituted. Resulting from the $840,000 addition completed during the summer of 1955, shop and home economics facilities were added. Because of the space provided for the entire junior high in the new addition, the Showalter house, formerly used for seventh and eighth grade classes, was razed and the area was converted into a parking lot.
order to accommodate more students, it was necessary to construct six
new rooms above the already existing industrial arts and vocational
agriculture shops. The work was completed during the summer of 1959.
In April 1965, the new middle school building was opened and the high school lost grades seven and eight to the new school. In July1965, the high school became known as the Lewisburg Area High School. This change resulted from the creation of a new school district under the provisions of the School Reorganization Act passed by the state legislature in 1963.
In 1973-74, a major renovation to the gymnasium took place. An auxiliary gymnasium was also added. In 1983 the school’s heating system was replaced and many classrooms were renovated to make room for new class offerings. At this time many of the windows were closed to conserve energy.
In 1995 the district realigned grade levels and began a $19,000,000 project to modernize all school buildings. Additions were added to Kelly Elementary School, Linntown Intermediate School, and the Lewisburg Middle School. Kelly Elementary now houses grades K-3, Linntown Intermediate School houses grades 4-5, and the Middle School houses grades 6-8. The South Ward School was renovated to become the Central Office.
During the summer of 2000, a major overhaul to the high school was completed. No classroom or hallway went untouched. A brand new cafeteria and three science rooms were added. In addition, a health room and physical fitness center were placed in the old cafeteria. The technology education room, music rooms, and biology classrooms were also renovated. Because these renovations took place on part of the athletic fields, new fields had to be added behind the middle school on what once was the Pawling property.
Visitors are often amazed to find that our school was built in 1928. It has seen major renovations in the past thirty years. Keeping the building well maintained, while preparing the students with the latest equipment, technology, and teaching methods, will ensure that future graduates will receive the same educational foundation as the preceding students.